Lawyers in Florida
Serving Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, and clients throughout Florida
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the number of motorcycle crashes in 2010 was estimated at 6,686. In an accident, a motorcycle rider will sustain far more serious motorcycle injuries and increases the likelihood of death. To avoid this, Florida riders need to take preventative measures and implement safety while on the road.
While a motorcycle rider cannot control the others on the road with them, there are things they can do to ensure they are safe.
Before You Go for a Ride
Before going for a ride, you need to inspect your bike. This is to ensure nothing has happened while your bike sat overnight or even during your last ride. Some things you should check include:
- Turn signals
- Oil and fuel levels
- Cables to ensure they are not worn or frayed
- Lube the chain
If it has been a few years since riding, then take a motorcycle refresher course before getting back out on the road.
Wear the Right Gear
To protect yourself from the elements and open road, you need to wear the right protective gear. Some of the items you should wear each time you get on your motorcycle include:
- Helmet – A good helmet should be your top priority. Investing in a quality helmet could mean the difference between a traumatic brain injury and a less serious injury. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, helmets are still effective at preventing fatalities.
- Proper Eyewear – There is a lot of debris on the open road, so it is important to protect your eyes. Getting debris in your eye while riding could cause an accident. If your helmet doesn’t have a face shield, invest in protective goggles or eyeglasses.
- Leathers – Leather clothing protects your skin from road rash and debris. Wear the proper-fitting leather jacket and pants every single time you ride.
- Reflective Gear – If you are going to ride at night, do not forget to put on reflective gear. Remember to wear at least one piece, so other vehicles can see you.
- Boots – Riders need good solid boots to protect their feet from injury in the event of an accident.
- Gloves – Wear leather, durable, and non-slip gloves to keep a grip on your handles, but also protect your hands.
While Riding on the Road
Remember that cars rarely look out for motorcycles. If you are prepared for them to cut you off or lose sight of you, then you can dramatically decrease your risk for an accident. Some things to do while on the road to ensure safety include:
- Never speed
- Never ride in a vehicle’s or truck’s blind spot
- Always use your turn signals when turning or switching lanes
- Never tailgate
- Never change lanes excessively
- Never ride or weave in between cars
Injured in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact Our Team of Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Today!
Even the safest motorcycle riders can be involved in an accident. If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident, you need a motorcycle accident lawyer to help represent your claim. Whether you are filing a claim against a driver or the city, an attorney can help by:
- Gathering witness statements
- Hiring investigators to recreate the scene of the accident and help determine liability
- Negotiating with insurance claims adjusters to ensure you get the maximum settlement possible
- Protecting your rights
Our team of Jacksonville motorcycle accident lawyers at Hardesty, Tyde, Green & Ashton, P. A. are here for you and your loved ones. We can assist you with your motorcycle claim today.
Contact us for a free case evaluation. You are under no obligation to hire us even after your free consultation. If you choose to hire us, you do not pay a fee until we win your claim. So call now to get started.
GET ANSWER NOW
Or schedule an in-office FREE CASE REVIEW
What constitutes a personal injury?
The most common personal injury is an auto accident, but the broad definition encompasses any situation where a person suffers harm due to the negligence of another person or entity. Early identification of a personal injury is important to the legal process. Many serious injuries occur each year involving:
– Auto accidents
– Premises liability accidents such as injuries caused by a slip and fall
– Medical malpractice/nursing home injuries
– Wrongful death
– Work-related accidents
– Animal attacks
– Faulty or malfunctioning products (product liability)